Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Memoirs of Saint Mark's Memoirs




Chronicles of my journey through -
The Gospel of Mark

My attempt at a running commentary on what sticks out to me about this gospel. Please add your thoughts, questions and concerns.

It is generally believed that Mark was highly influenced by Peter in writing his gospel. It is also quite interesting to me that this gospel is reaching it’s recipients ears shortly before AD 70 which would put this during the Neronian persecution of the church. Two of the main leaders of the Christian movement (Peter and Paul) have both been martyred. It is also into this time of great persecution and struggle that Mark writes this book (more on that later). He has a message he needs to get to those being persecuted. They need to be reminded of what God is doing, who Jesus is and what it means to follow him.

Mark 1
The kingdom of God is near (Now and Then)


What sticks out to me:

It’s been said that Mark can’t tell a story poorly. The book of Mark bursts with action at a blazing pace.

It is the proclamation of this Good News that sticks out to me. Although there are many streams of expectation among the Jews at the time it is very obvious by the continual bumbling of the disciples that they did not inherently know what Jesus meant by “the good news.” It’s amazing to me that John and Jesus set out to proclaim this good news but explain little of it. It also seems strange that the good news which we normally think of as the cross is already being proclaimed at the beginning of Jesus ministry. What does Jesus say? “the time has come…the Kingdom of God is near.” He walks up to some fisherman and tells them to drop their nets and follow him. Do you really think they had any idea what he meant by following him? It seems to me that Jesus cares much more about follower-ship and participation in the kingdom then people being right. He definitely doesn’t have any theological “foundation quiz” they all must pass before they can become disciples; just faith to follow.

Mark instantly jumps to Jesus driving out screeching demons, healings and he throws in Jesus strange conviction to pray “in a solitary place” and even when the disciples tell him everybody’s looking for him he says let’s go somewhere else.


I find Jesus instant induction of these fisherman to be troubling. Thinking ahead about their arrogance, lack of faith and the betrayal of these “disciples” I find the deputizing of these fellows to be odd. It’s odd in the sense that it’s not normal or instinctual for me. I think of all the criteria many have to wade through to just go on a short term mission trip mission trip or serve in a local ministry. What are the things I feel like people should have before they are thrust into being used by God? Jesus doesn’t seem to care much about details or more importantly I think he does care about details it’s just that he values participation highly. He asks them to follow him then he just starts unleashing healing and teaching power all over the place (what a ride).

Jesus is proclaiming that the kingdom of God is near. God’s action in the world is going on and you are invited. He throws out this invitation long before he has died for the sins of the world. Jesus seems to have major confidence in the devotion molding power of the gospel. It sticks out to me that this book and chapter begin with the words “the beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, Son of God.” This good news is breaking and current news for us today. I’m not trying to belittle the cross it just seems Jesus is inviting people into a way of life and I believe we must do the same today.

Do we proclaim this invitation with such reckless confidence and radically embracing openness?

What is it that we think people need to know before they can join with what God is doing?

Are we being moved to have compassion on those that are diseased, broken and destitute? In that place of compassion could we then be desperate enough to ask God to release more of his kingdom on other desperate people?

Almighty God, conceive an expectation for your coming kingdom within us. Strip us of all these debilitating human-invented boxes we feel we need to check off before we can ask people to join with what you are doing in the world. Spirit, guide us into untamed speech and saturate us with a healing presence that depends solely on your power. Christ, prepare our hearts for more of you and make ready our feet for the long journey of being your apprentices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fool,
Lately I've been thinking about the institution vs. movement versions of Christianity. This feels very much like a movement, which is more about joining into something and choosing to follow, rather than an institution, which sets up rules for joining, rules for staying, consequences for not following correctly, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that this really does sound like good news, and I think I want to live into it myself. Where do I sign up?

Anonymous said...

I think we really need to take some time to re-create our preconcieved ideas, language and structures. I know this sounds cliche' but I realy mean it. So much of the language and style of how I communicate and function still screams institution. I need to like sit down and cross some stuff out, write new stories and search for fresh language. I'm hope to unleash an participatory weekend on the students and leaders when I go to share at the Firs Chalet in March.

I'm also most convicted about a posture of life that is constantly inviting people into this amazing journey. Just tossing them into the mess like Jesus did with the disciples but still be right there with them along the way.

Colin