Thursday, January 04, 2007

A short aside about being imaginative storytellers

My friend Matt made a comment on inviting others into this Jesus movement and I was instantly brought back to this quote. I know I only wrote about the first chapter of Mark so far but I can’t help begin to dream about becoming apostles ourselves.

“In a certain sense, therefore, the Gospels are already functioning as hermeneutical models for us, insisting by their very nature that we, too, retell the same story in our own twentieth-century contexts.” Fee and Stuart in "How to read the bible for all it's worth"

What might it look like to join with the spirit in crafting ways of telling the stories of Jesus life that invite people in the specific contexts around me into the kingdom of God. What an amazing opportunity! I love picking up the bible and crafting versions of the biblical narrative for my 3 year old son. Last year when I was studying Revelation he would get up every morning and ask me to retell a panoramic toddler version of Revelation I had made up. He would then fill in the blanks when I forgot things I had said before. I think many people are hungry for fresh expressions of the gospel in their native cultural tongue. The question is are you and I willing ot be caught up in the same missionary spirit of God that the gospel writers were?

What might this look like for you?
Who might God be calling you to retell the same stories to?
Any ideas?

2 comments:

Kurt Ingram said...

In this sweet movie i watched on a plane recently, called "Neverwas", this guy made the point that sometimes a story teller finds a story, and other times the story finds a story teller. I wonder which is true of the gospel, how many people have just told the story that they found, and how do we allow the story to find us and to be told as we are transformed by it.

Colin Potts said...

Wow. That's a really good point and a really good question. What do you think it might look like to "allow the story to find us and to be told as we are tranformed by it?"